It’s hot out! And not the kind of hot that I like. It’s the humid kind that makes me want to stay indoors and pull my couch up to my air conditioning unit.
However, on Sunday — probably the hottest day during this heat streak — my AC went out and the indoor thermometer said it was 89 degrees in my apartment at 10:30 p.m. It was unbearably hot and by far the hottest room was the kitchen.
In my opinion there are not many things that are more uncomfortable than cooking in a hot kitchen. Needless to say, waking up and cooking breakfast (in the sauna) was not in the cards for me. So I just didn’t cook. Instead I made the hubby and me healthy smoothies that not only count as a meal but were very refreshing.
Ingredients for two smoothies
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional — I like to throw chia seeds into all my smoothies for a boost of protein, fiber and a handful of other vitamins. They also make me feel fuller longer. However, they do tend to get stuck in my teeth and they add a different texture to the smoothie so they do have their drawbacks)
- Add coconut milk, strawberries and raspberries into blender
- Add banana, avocado and chia seeds
- Blend again until smooth